Chief Executive Officer Biography
History & Accomplishments
The Rev. Dr. Maria A. Scates, D.D., is the Chief Executive Officer of Johnson Park Center, (JPC) which means Join Positive Change! She is formerly homeless and a veteran that is an advocate for the homeless, women, children and families. Rev. Dr. Scates is a visionary; she pioneered and led the way for positive change and revitalization in the Johnson Park community, which she loves and resides in. She co-founded HARK-HOMES, a shelter for the homeless in Harlem, New York and is the Founder of the Johnson Park Center; Cornhill-Utica an inner city community based organization. Through vision, dedication, commitment and hard work, Rev. Dr. Scates possesses considerable experience in working with minority women and children from dysfunctional families and operating various service programs for the poor and needy, including organization, leadership & management, supervision of staff, counseling, fundraising and development and property management.
Some of the Awards & Accomplishments that JPC & Rev. Dr. Scates have received:
- 2007 – The Bobby Page III Community Service Award through the “Robert Esche Save of the Day Foundation”.
- 2008 – “Upstate Supportive Housing Residence of the Year” by the Supportive Housing Network of New York.
- 2009 – the “Community Impact Award” from the Community Foundation of Herkimer & Oneida Counties.
- 2011 – Rev. Dr. Scates received an “Honorary Doctorate of Divinity” from Colgate University.
- 2011 – Rev. Dr. Scates received the Genesis Group “Joseph R. Carucci Community Appreciation Award.
- 2012 – JPC and Resource Living of Independent Living (RCiL) received the American with Disabilities (ADA) 22nd Anniversary Proclamation Award from the City of Utica.
- 2013 – Rev. Dr. Scates received the Mohawk Valley Community Action Agency (MVCAA) “2013 Treva Wood Community Activist Award’ at the MVCAA Champions Luncheon on May 9th, 2013.